Tuesday, June 5, 2012

The best laid plans...

So I was really looking forward to last weekend. I was going to take the dogs on the two hour trip toward the Illinois border to head to the all breed lure coursing club and the BCOSW fundraiser that was being held there on Saturday.

Watson was going to do what he loves best...run his heart out. Menchi was going to get her first try at chasing a lure.

Somewhere the universe chuckled kindly and said "look she is planning...how droll"!

Thursday evening I remark to Sabe "Hmmm, I seem to have a bit of a sore throat. I should get ahead of this. I am taking some Nyquil and going to bed."

Friday morning at the butt-crack of dawn...two hungry dogs attempt to make me rise so breakfast can happen. My throat was on fire and that was after something had stomped on it, clawed it, and submerged it in acid just to be sure. Swallowing was impossible and talking pure torture.

The zombie lifts it's very heavy head and pokes a claw at Sabe "Croak, groan, mumble, mumble." Which seems to have translated to "Can you please get up and feed the dogs...I am too sick to move." Because, like the saint he is my boy friend got up and took care of the canine and feline needs of the household.

When consciousness intruded again on my fevered delirium a couple of hours later it became clear that work was not going to happen that day and I dragged myself to the phone to let my boss know.

The incoherent thought process happening was something like "Well it is only Friday if I stay mellow I might still make it to lure coursing with the dogs tomorrow." Are you laughing yet? Someone sure was...not me though. I was dead for the rest of that day.

I was in capable paws though... Dr. Watson was applying basenji body heat directly to me at all times as we slept the day away. Menchi was using an ancient Chinese secret involving dog drool and shar pei cuddles. I am sure it is a great cure in Eastern Medicine, right up there with dried Tiger penis and powdered Rhino parts.

Alas it was not to be though...even with all their curative canine powers combined I was still laid out on Saturday and most of Sunday!

No Lure Coursing Event for us...

No comments:

Post a Comment