Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Ode to my Basenji

I want to talk about Watson today :)

Basenjis are unusual little dogs. I often meet people that don't know how quite to take Watson. To me he does not seem that odd, but I do admit that sometimes he is more difficult to read than most dogs. It is like being a primitive breed he speaks dog, but with a somewhat different dialect :)

That being said he is also one of the sweetest dogs I know. A spaz at times, but also fun, endlessly clever and entertaining.

It is said that Basenjis are aloof, but it is more that they are often not overly demonstrative in their affections. Watson for one loves to touch. He likes to cuddle up and lean against me. His main way to express joy is his yodel. This noise has startled people that never heard it before. I have had to assure friends that the loud "Baroo" is a good sound.

We do call him Snark Monster and Dragon Dog... Like many of his breed he makes his opinions known. He does not appreciate being woken suddenly, startled, forced, or handled roughly. Me, I like a dog with opinions and a bit of spunk.

Watson definitely has his on mind on many things. It makes training "interesting" at times. He likes to interpret, embellish, and, improve on commands (at least in his mind). Also he wants everyone to know that stays are for suckers!

 




No comments:

Post a Comment