Tuesday, September 11, 2012

When things go bump in the night...

Here is what happens...

The paternal body gets out of bed to stumble to the restroom. Basenji lifts head, blinks sleepily, contemplates stealing the warm spot left behind, then creeps back under blanket and leaches my heat. The Shar Pei continues to snore blissfully.

The maternal body exits the bed to stumble to the restroom. Both dogs come awake the instant I leave the bedroom. Two dogs congregate by the bedroom door to await my return. The basenji makes sure I know that they know by periodically scratching noisily at the door from his side. If I delay too long and go over my alloted time, to say pet the cat, I can hear pacing and grumbly basenji noises drift down the stairs.

I return to the room to have a basenji immediately check my credentials. Then the shar pei cleverly positions herself to block me/ trip me on my way back to the bed in the dark room. I pet the shar pei and she returns to her spot and resumes her beauty-sleep. The basenji meanwhile occupies my spot on the bed and needs to be jostled gently to move over. I settle down. The basenji does the patented doggy sleep dance...lays down...gets back up and asks to go under the blankets. The sleep dance happens again...the basenji resumes sleep with heavy sigh.

Life is hard when you are a little dog!

No comments:

Post a Comment